Monday

Great Songs for Fast Walking (120-125 BPM)

In a previous post I listed quite a few tunes that work well for walking, focusing on songs with 110-120 beats per minute (BPM). Since that time my walking speed has gradually progressed, and I find that songs closer to 110 beats per minute do not give me the workout I need to burn calories and work up a cardio-worthy sweat.

Hey - if a couch potato like me can become a stereotypical power-walker, anyone can. I estimate that - since I began walking on June 6 of this year - I have hoofed over 350 miles on Toledo streets and in local parks. I think my iPod has been the real reason that I have kept at the walking, as time passes more quickly and walking to a beat is quite natural.

Thus, I have prepared a new list of songs in the 120-125 BPM range that I found especially motivating as I walk. Obviously taste varies from person to person, and my own list is kind of heavy on 1980s alternative rock. Feel free to leave your suggestions in the comments section for songs in this 120-125 BPM range that are good walking songs.

"Uniforms," Pete Townshend (121 BPM)
"North Country Girl," Pete Townshend (120 BPM)
"Not Alone Any More," The Traveling Wilburys (120 BPM)
"Last Night," The Traveling Wilburys (124 BPM)
"Money," Pink Floyd (125 BPM)
"Time," Pink Floyd (122 BPM)
"Run Like Hell," Pink Floyd (122 BPM)
"Hey You," Pink Floyd (121 BPM)
"Mother and Child Reunion," Paul Simon (120 BPM)
"Rene and Georgette Magritte With Their Dog After the War," Paul Simon (122 BPM)
"Slip Slidin' Away," Paul Simon (122 BPM)
"Train in the Distance," Paul Simon (122 BPM)
"You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet," Bachman Turner Overdrive (122 BPM)
"Where The Streets Have No Name," U2 (125 BPM)
"Sister Havana," Urge Overkill (126 BPM)
"Death at One's Elbow," The Smiths (124 BPM)
"Merry Go Round," The Replacements (121 BPM)
"Nobody," The Replacements (122 BPM)