Sunday

Historian, Writer, and...Flower Arranger?

Pictured on your left is my latest attempt at creating a decorative display for the dinner table. Yes, I am secure enough in my masculinity to play with flowers, folks, though the "ooohs" and "ahhhs" from our dinner guests lead me to believe that the gathered blossoms do not, in fact, suck.

What I am actually more pleased with, truth be forever told, is that all of the pictured flowers came from one of my gardens. There are zinnias, sunflowers, marigolds, cosmos, impatiens, and a few other flowers whose names escape me at the moment. Not only was I able to create a week's worth of indoor beauty, but I could do so at virtually no cost, and I have money left over to buy top weight loss pills, were I so inclined and possessing the necessary cash.

Well, except for the planting, and the water, and the weeding, and the TLC and all that. OK, this display actually cost me about $200 in labor and material costs if you add up all my time, but it's the principle, right?