Tuesday

Wired for Sleep: Continuing My Apnea Saga

In a previous post I discussed my first sleep study, which documented my until then undiagnosed problems with sleep apnea. Last night I participated in another sleep study, and the picture on the left depicts me with dozens of electrodes glued to my body.

The purpose of the second study was to evaluate my sleep while wearing a full facial mask supplied with airflow from a Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) machine. It took me a while to get used to the mask and the changes in breathing associated with this device, but I eventually wound up with about five hours of decent sleep (I eventually fell asleep while thinking of mundane topics, like types of RV insurance and the number of ceiling tiles in the room). I was actually disappointed when the technicians woke me at 5:30 am, as I would have liked another 3-4 hours of such deep sleep.

Now I wait for the sleep doctor, the medical supply company, and the insurance to finish their haggling. With a little good fortune I will be able to procure a mask and a machine tomorrow, though I suspect the Thanksgiving holiday may delay until next week the commencement of CPAP-aided sleep.

Still, if it improves my quality of life (at least my constant tiredness), it will be worth the wait.