Saturday

Stepping Out

My wife and I spent Valentine's Eve endeavoring to put to use our nascent ballroom dancing skills at a social gathering tonight. No toes were broken, but I still need to be more cognizant of my elbows, which I sometimes think have been stuck in permanent box-out mode from my days as a elbow-wielding plodding power forward in pickup basketball.

Interestingly, there was a strange turn of events tonight: normally my wife is the one dragging me onto the dance floor, but tonight she was a bit self-conscious about trying out the new steps. Eventually enough couples filled the floor to make her more courageous, and we danced for the first time in public without an instructor guiding us.

And gauging from the comments of other attendees, we at least reached the level of "We Do Not Totally Suck."