Sunday

Uninhabited and Unnamed Island in the Straits of Mackinac

I sometimes play a mental game when I am near a body of water and I spot an uninhabited island. I imagine what it would be like to claim the island as my own, perhaps constructing a small domicile and then having a place of near-total isolation from the problems of the world.

Such was the case when I gazed out over the Straits of Mackinac and spied the pictured island the other day. This unnamed patch of land is about a half-mile from the northern shore of the Straits on the edge of the shoals, and it appeared to be only a few dozen yards in length (the image was taken with a 12X zoom lens).

This island - which appears as just an insignificant dot on nautical charts of the Straits of Mackinac - would not be well suited for long-term human habitation. In fact, I suspect that all or much of the island might be periodically submerged, as the natural fauna seems to consist only of grasses and small scrub brush. Besides, the Straits of Mackinac produce high winds much of the year, and a person would need to be quite hardy to scratch out a life on this desolate stretch of rock and sand.

And how would a person be able to receive quality HDTV signals on such a technology-challenged rock?