Monday

Department of Ironic Screen CAPTCHAS

Left: humorous Facebook screen CAPTCHA

Generally I find screen CAPTCHA website tests to be annoying, especially when the software subroutine kicks in on a website in which I am already logged in. Such was the case with the CAPTCHA on your left, which I recorded for posterity after running into it on Facebook.

While on an intellectual level I understand that these CAPTCHA moments are randomly generated, I could not help but think the software was trying to communicate with me when it generated the words "to prolong" as my CAPTCHA. After all, both me and the software experienced a prolonging of our efforts because of this CAPTCHA.

Almost reminds me of HAL 9000: "I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do."