Saturday

Giant Lilies Redux

The giant lilies I blogged about last week are now in full bloom, so I decided to take a few more pictures and brag about them again. I think I spent about $10 on two pots of these strangely prolific plants, and we will be rewarded with brilliant magenta hues that will last about three weeks.

As I mentioned in the last post, one of the most surprising characteristics of these giant lilies is the thickness of their stalks. These resemble the sorts of trunk-like stalks that support sunflowers, and I estimate that the average diameter of the stalks - which look like the horticultural equivalent of a human being taking HGH supplements - is about an inch-and-a-half.

If these giant lilies continue to spread, we will have to split them and start new groups elsewhere in the yard. As it stands they are already crowding out some of the other perennials I have planted in this particular garden, and while I appreciate their beauty, I like a little variety in the garden's colors.