Thursday

Giant Mouse of Pinconning

(Pinconning, MI) We took a side trip on our way up to Mackinac Island to visit the town of Pinconning today. Pictured on your left is a giant mouse outside of the Wilson Cheese Shoppe in Pinconning, a Michigan town noted for its cheeses.

I lived in Michigan for 25 years and traveled to the northern parts of the state more times than I could ever remember, yet I never ventured into Pinconning. As a child I pronounced the town as "PINE-cone-ing," like a verb associated with the gathering of pine cones. However, locals pronounce the place "PIN-con-ing."

Just so you know.

I think that retailers of cheese are the only businesses in which the presence of large rodents might be seen as a source of pride. The giant mouse standing guard at the Wilson Cheese Shoppe seems friendly enough, but I would not advise trying to jack him after dark.

Get it? Jack the cheese-bearing mouse? I kill me.