Sunday

On Hummingbirds and Indecision

While hanging out with my dogs in the backyard this morning, I noticed what I thought was a large wasp hovering near one of my sunflowers. A closer inspection revealed that I was looking at a Ruby-throated hummingbird.

Being a photography buff, my first instinct was to grab the nearest digital camera and start snapping away. Then a paused for a moment, since my typical experience trying to photograph hummingbirds results in the hummingbird flying away before I can locate and activate my camera.

The hummingbird floated and darted among the sunflowers, evidently not finding anything worth its time. In a manner not unlike the hummingbird, I wafted between wanting enjoy the moment or to leave the scene and get a camera. The creature then drifted over to some roses, and I finally decided to take my chances on dashing into the house and locating the camera.

Luck was with me, and I managed to snap a half-dozen decent images before the hummingbird left the yard. From the picture I think this was either a female or a young male, as neither of these birds displays the bright red throat plumage from which the bird derives its common name.