Saturday

New Wheels

Pictured on your left is my 1995 Hyundai, an extremely dependable vehicle I purchased a few years ago for the almost-criminal price of $700. Over the past few years I have sunk very little into this vehicle, and since it has just over 100,000 miles, I figured that an investment in new wheels and tires would be worthwhile.

The rusted steel wheels that came with the vehicle were increasingly difficult to balance, and I also grew tired of pumping up the tires every few days, as tire sealant only goes so far with pitted and dented wheels.

Yet what really surprised me was not the smooth ride on the new wheels and tires, but how good this car looks without four rusted steel wheels. I almost did not recognize the car when I picked it up from the tire store.

I also had the tire guys go to a 14-inch rim over the 13-inch wheels that came with the original vehicle. This was in part due to the fact that the 13-inch OEM wheels are scarce, and frankly a bit more expensive than the 14-inch wheels that were modified for my car.

Anyways, I look forward to a smoother ride and fewer chuckles from some of my new car-obsessed friends: this car looks pretty damned sharp for a 15-year-old machine.