Saturday

Super Bowl XLV Prediction

In keeping with my past traditions, I am posting my annual Super Bowl prediction. Now, though I would not recommend taking anything I say straight to your bookie, I can say that last year's prediction of a victory by the New Orleans Saints raised my Super Bowl prognostication record to 5-0 since joining the blogosphere half a decade ago.

This year I see the aerial exploits of the Green Bay Packers being a bit too much for the defense of the Pittsburgh Steelers, while the unfortunate loss of center Maurkice Pouncey will continue to hurt the offensive line of the Steelers (though his replacement, Doug Legursky, might be alittle better at pass protection). A late TD by Aaron Rodgers to Jordy Nelson will be the difference maker in a close game, with the Packers coming out on top 27-21.

I think the Packers will also come out ahead in the turnovers category, picking off a Ben Roethlisberger pass and scooping up a funble along the way. Green Bay, meanwhile, will only turn over the ball once, probably from a deflected pass. MVP for the game: Aaron Rodgers, who returns to the superhuman playmaking that has carried the Packers for the past two months (setting aside the pedestrian numbers he put up against Chicago two weeks ago).

Other recent successful Historymike predictions:

2009 Prediction: Steelers 27, Cardinals 21 (Actual 27-23 Steelers win)
2008 Prediction: Giants 27, Patriots 24 (Actual 17-14 Giants win)
2007 Prediction: Colts 27, Bears 21 (Actual 29-17 Colts win)
2006 Prediction: Steelers 24, Seahawks 17 (Actual 21-10 Steelers win)

Feel free to leave your own predictions and/or homer hate mail in the Comments section.