Saturday

Dwarf Lake Iris (Iris lacustris)

The interminably long winter that has been the bane of my existence over the past five months finally seems to be abating, and I was pleased to see that some bulbs I planted last fall have started to sprout and blossom. Pictured on your left are some violet Crested Dwarf Iris flowers, also known by the scientific name of Iris lacustris.

These early-blooming rhizomes are a welcome addition to the color provided by the various crocus varieties that started appearing a few weeks ago in my yard. Accompanying this visual burst of color is the growing awareness that the many months of frozen temperatures are close to an end, and I cannot remember a winter that seemed so unwilling to leave.

I also see quite a few tulips and lilies poking out of the ground, and while I am leery of planting any seeds just yet, I suspect I am but a few weeks away from sowing the annuals and garden vegetables.

A-freaking-men, that: I cannot recall a winter I despised as much as this past season.