Wednesday

On Playing Hooky for a Few Hours

Internet Explorer error message Left: Internet Explorer error message

After waking this morning I went to check my email and noticed that the mail website would not work, and joining the mail website was my primary work platform. After a few minutes of refreshing, reloading, and clearing various caches, I decided I would wait out what appeared to be a significant outage.

Perhaps the temporary down time was a mixed blessing, though: I woke up in a groggy state of mind not particularly conducive to writing, thinking, or grading. I then spent the next few hours in a state of not-work, or at least not-work-work.

I cleaned up the yard, finished the dishes, threw some laundry in the washer, played with the dogs, and even killed time reading while in the hammock. Instead of my normal anxiety when the Internet is down, I worked on a variety of nagging chores that in their own way cluttered my mind.

And when normalcy returned to the Web, my morning ended up being much more productive than it looked to be when the Web sat silent.