Tuesday

First Crocus of Spring

First crocus of the spring, a striped purple crocus flower with a yellow stamenThe other day I documented the first flower of spring in my backyard, which was a purple violet. Today I noticed the first crocus to bloom in my yard, a single striped purple flower with a bright yellow stamen.

I have been eagerly awaiting the arrival of the croci (or is it crocuses) since last fall, when I planted over a hundred of these bulbs.I opted to follow my wife's suggestion, which was to spread the crocus bulbs around the yard in a randomized pattern. I previously wanted to bunch the bulbs in geometric rows and recognizable patterns, but I lost that landscaping debate.

Now I just have to cross my fingers and hope that the crocus blossoms are hardy enough to withstand the force associated with the running feet of canines.